Saturday, November 6, 2010

Giant Omelette Festival - Getting There

Here's the beginning of my account of the Giant Omelette Festival in Abbeville LA on Saturday, November 6 (today), and Sunday, November 7 (tomorrow). In this post, I will recount my trip from New Orleans to Abbeville on Friday, November 5 (yesterday).

First, I should mention that I almost didn't go. Such a long drive by myself - and part of the drive after dark. So much to pack - the sleep apnea machine and extra pillows so as to have all the pillows I like (I like nine pillows). So much I could be doing in New Orleans, such as planning lessons and evaluating student work and cleaning house. The Giant Omelette is interesting, but would it really be worth the trip?

So I really, really almost didn't go - but then I went! And it's been marvelous!

I left New Orleans at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, November 5, right after teaching my last class of the week. I took US-90 rather than I-10, and I'm glad I did. It's much less frenetic. Actually, it's not frenetic at all on US-90.

Taking US-90 means that I went through Jeanerette. The Yellow Bowl Restaurant is in Jeanerette. I thought of this as I was approaching Jeanerette - right at supper time. I also realized that, unfortunately, the Yellow Bowl is not on US-90 but off on a back road, and that I had no idea how to find it. But then - I noticed a small sign for the Yellow Bowl with an arrow showing where to turn! I turned. This sign and a second one led me to the Yellow Bowl! Making this stop definitely meant that I would be driving the rest of the way to Abbeville well after sunset. I don't like to drive alone after dark in unfamiliar places, but this is Cajun territory, so I figured I'd be fine.

The Yellow Bowl is a family-owned and -run seafood restaurant. It's been in the same family since the 1950s and is now in the hands of third-generation owners. I ordered a very delicious crab platter.

The after-dark drive from Jeanerette to Abbeville went very smoothly. I arrived at the Best Western in Abbeville about 8:30 p.m. That may seem very long for a 3:30 p.m. departure from New Orleans, but the time period includes walking several blocks from Loyola to my car, getting out of the city in the beginnings of rush-hour traffic, and stopping for supper in Jeanerette.

This Best Western is quite nice - and extremely quiet. No one makes a peep. I found that I slept quite well last night.

My next post will recount my adventures of Saturday, November 6 (today).

No comments:

Post a Comment